<span class="highlight">Solar</span> <span class="highlight">panel</span> wiring on Coromal poptop camper - through or around the roof?

Hi!

I have a Coromal Silhouette 391PS and notice that there is a solar power cable going from the battery compartment to inside already with heaps of length still in a roll. The question is how is this normally put through to panels on top of the roof? Do I have to drill through the roof?! I plan to affix the panel mounting rails to the fibreglass roof with Sikaflex 11FC so I was hoping to avoid any drilling at all.

Any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bryce E - Monday, Oct 03, 2011 at 17:41

Monday, Oct 03, 2011 at 17:41
Hi Jamohamo.

Sorry, I cant answer your question, but I am intrigued at your discovery. I have a 451 and notice a few different leads coming off the battery too. Being a solar novice, I was wondering what to look for to make the same discovery as you.

Back on topic, I am guessing that the roof is double skinned to allow for cabling to the lighting. I have no idea how to acccess this though as I'd love a light over the doorway to help when I'm putting it up in the dark.

I also recall reading on a forum somewhere about how the Sillhouette's roof is unsuitable for the weight of roofracks, unlike the Jaycos, due to the full fibreglass construction. I would also love to put stuff on my roof, but I reckon you should talk to Coromal about loading the roof as well as your problems.

I'd love to hear how you get on. Good luck.
AnswerID: 466683

Follow Up By: jamohamo - Monday, Oct 03, 2011 at 18:18

Monday, Oct 03, 2011 at 18:18
Hi Bryce.

The solar cable I'm talking about goes from the battery compartment, under the floor by the doorway and comes up on the other side of the doorway up to the ceiling and ends in a length of rolled up cable. There is also a black switch next to the doorway to turn on and off the power from the panels. This is a standard factory fitting to save the owner the trouble I'm told.

The Coromal rooves are quite strong. Mine can support my weight walking around on it so a few solar panels or other light items should be no problem.

According to Melbourne Caravan Repairs such things are normally stuck on with Sikaflex or similar and without bolts. You just need the surface area on the mounting rails and at least 5mm of Sikaflex under them to make it work. A roof rack for a spare tyre or jerry can of fuel is definitely out of the question, though.

I've just emailed Coromal asking how they normally get the solar wiring up to the panels so stay tuned for that info.
FollowupID: 740789

Follow Up By: jamohamo - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 06:19

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 06:19
Coromal said call a dealer. So helpful. Thanks Coromal!
FollowupID: 740842

Follow Up By: jamohamo - Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:33

Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:33
Well I've finished building the frames. All I need to do is prepare the roof surface and frame surface with sandpaper and metho and then stick them on.

BTW I was mistaken about the black switch as it is actually for the external light (shows you how much I use it) but the solar cabling (I thinks it's 4.6 mm sq twin core cable) also runs through a hole just above the switch.

As for getting the solar cable up to the panels I was fortunate enough to have an air intake vent put in to keep out the dust when travelling. This is not the normal wind up air vent. Anyway, I believe I can thread the cable though the seal and out to the roof and just silicon it up. Of course that means I'll have to run the cable along the ceiling inside and make it pretty somehow. There was no room to have it wrap around the lip of the roof. It would have eventually worn through I think.
FollowupID: 741358

Sponsored Links